What is Underfloor Ducted Air Conditioning, and When is it Needed?
Underfloor ducted air conditioning is a system installed beneath a raised floor and distributes air to each room using a series of ducts and vents. Most people will be familiar with ducted air conditioning systems installed in a ceiling or roof space; however, there are circumstances when this kind of installation is not possible.
In buildings with limited ceiling space, exposed ceilings, and difficult access or hazardous materials, an underfloor ducted air conditioning system may be the solution.
150-Year-Old Building Not Suitable for Split System Air Conditioners
Recently, we were asked to quote on 3 x 8 kW split system air conditioners in a lovely old church in Maleny. The building is over 150 years old, and its age presented some obstacles that ruled out a split system installation.
Upon visiting the church, we discovered that:
- The building had asbestos in the walls and ceilings
- The asbestos had recently been sealed (at the cost of over $20k)
- The building was on stilts and had hardwood floors.
Because of the hazardous nature of asbestos and the requirement that it is sealed for the safety of the occupants, we would have been unable to cut into the church walls to install the split systems originally requested.
things To Consider When Installing an Underfloor Ducted Air Conditioning System
Fortunately, the Power Trip team had the perfect alternative and set about designing an underfloor ducted system that would overcome all of the obstacles we faced. Because Power Trip designs all of its ducted systems in-house, we can fully customise them to each build and make changes when obstacles arise.
The team considered several things when designing the custom duct system for the church. These things allowed us to map the heating and cooling loads accurately. Once these loads have been correctly mapped, we can create a system that is both effective and energy-efficient to run.
The things we took into consideration were:
- The number of windows in the church
- The direction of the sun
- The location of the windows
- An average of 40-50 people attending each service
- The height that the building is from the ground
- Heat loss from under the building
- The materials the building is constructed of.
The Benefits of an Underfloor System
In this instance, an underfloor ducted air conditioning system would overcome the construction obstacles that we had identified. However, this kind of system also provides several other benefits to the occupants of a building, such as:
- Vents are on the floor, so cool air is pumped directly into the room. Because hot air rises, this makes for a more energy-efficient airflow.
- Vents are powder coated and can be colour matched to blend with the home’s aesthetic and each room if required.
- Underfloor ducts are solid in construction and don’t require any other sealing or protection against the elements.
- Reverse cycle heating and cooling , so the climate is controlled all year round.
When To Choose an Underfloor System
You may choose underfloor ducted air conditioning if the building has difficult ceiling access or is built on stilts or raised. Also, suppose the building has dangerous materials in its construction or special architectural features such as exposed beams. In that case, an underfloor ducted air conditioning system may be the best option for you.
Power Trip Services will be able to assess your situation and provide recommendations and a design that is tailored to your requirements perfectly. And the best part is that we do everything in-house! Give us a call today to see what the best option for you is.
The electrical and air conditioning specialists at Power Trip Services go above and beyond to tackle any complex installation or electrical issue you throw our way.
We are leaders in our profession in North Brisbane because we use our resourcefulness and ingenuity to deliver high-quality and affordable solutions every time. Our qualified technicians can even design your ducted air-condition in-house!
Not only do we pride ourselves on quality workmanship, but our outstanding service standards and promise to treat your property with the utmost respect sets us apart from our competitors.